Contributed by Beatrice Rabkin. Bsc. Nutritional Medicine; Dip Pharmacy
These are some other options to relieve constipation:
1. Epsom salts (Tastes nasty!) 1tsp. in a glass of water and then a second 2 hours later, if no response. This can be used as a once off, to clear out impacted stool, can do it 1-2 week if needed.
2. Aloe Ferox (Timjan available from liquor stores as it contains a small amount of alcohol) or other Aloe Ferox available from most Health shops or pharmacies. The Timjan is particularly potent, so be careful. Try a teaspoon/day to start with and increase as needed. Other Aloe products are less potent and require 50ml, 3 x daily. This can be taken for several, it has great healing properties, for many things other than constipation.
3. Vitamin C 1000mg, up to 12g/day, and it should be taken to bowel tolerance, in other words when the stool gets loose, cut back until stool is soft but still has form. Start with 1-2g every hour until you get a result. One would then keep on with 2-3g/ day - and up it when there is a problem.
4. Magnesium - good for so many things, and one of them is a muscle relaxant - It is the magnesium in the Epsom salts that is the active ingredient. 2-3 x 200mg magnesium citrate (400-600mg) tablets every night will improve peristalsis. Also encourages a more restful sleep.
5. Soaked flax seeds: Soak some flax seeds in warm water for several hours or overnight. Take one or more tablespoons of the flax "goo" and stir into juice or water. One of the best ways to take it is as morning tea made with very hot (but not boiling) water that has the juice of a fresh lemon squeezed in it and a tablespoon or two of flax goo. You can also mix the goo with yogurt to hide the rather slimy texture. Store the gel in the refrigerator and it will last a long time.
6. Caricol – Solgar product – very good natural digestive and encourages regular stool